Monday 23 March 2015

Amber Shares Her First Memories of Reading



By Amber Hodson

My first memories of learning to read involved many pop-up books. I can’t remember exactly what they consisted of but I do vaguely remember colourful aliens and starlit backgrounds. At primary school my love of books heightened soon after the installation of a small library which was tucked away in a small side room. Hundreds of children’s books adorned the shelves and once a week we would all pick a book and read from it.

I have many books which I could quite confidently place under the title of ‘Best Books According to Amber’, but if I had to choose only one I’d go with Roald Dahl’s The BFG. A truly remarkable tale written by an amazing children’s author. The BFG was one of the first ‘major’ books I managed to read by myself from beginning to end.

The story of Sophie and the Big Friendly Giant captured my imagination like no other, especially at an age where my fantasy worlds clashed with reality. What if there are giants that visit humans when the world is sleeping? What if there are such things as snozzcumbers?

Since then my love for the written word has followed me into adult life. Whilst I don’t often venture into book stores for a physical copy of the latest novel, I do find myself browsing the Kindle Book Store for hidden treasures and deals. My fond memories of reading as a child have stayed with me all these years and I’m not afraid to admit that I still find myself reaching for Beatrix Potter, J. K. Rowling or Roald Dahl books in a bid to turn back the clock.

The MCBF2015 team are looking for your blogs, stories, book reviews, photos, poems - simply anything and everything to do with your favourite children’s books! Email mcbf@mmu.ac.uk to get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment